[Sca-cooks] Room Temperature

Edouard de Bruyerecourt bruyere at mind.net
Fri Dec 27 00:04:51 PST 2002

The other variable, aside from size that Stefan mentioned, is density. A
cup of skim milk is going to warm up faster than a cup of butter.
Actually, there are three variables: size, density, and shape. Flatter,
thinner shapes will warm up quicker. It didn't sound like the original
question refered to _frozen_ meat. The recipes I come across ask for
room temperature milk, butter, and eggs mostly.

I would have to offer that an hour should be more than enough. A half
hour should be enough, and fifteen minutes might even do it. I usually
allow 15-20 minutes.

As for concerns about bacterial growth, _usually_ one is going to cook
the food later, and if cooked appropriately, any bacteria will be
killed. Eggs themselves are 'sealed' and shouldn't exposed until you
crack them open.

Off course, as she mentioned, room temperature is not a constant. Your
mileage may vary. I wouldn't be surprised if my room temperature is in
the low 60s. I recall reading somewhere that room temperature in Europe
is generally lower than in the US.

--
Edouard, Sire de Bruyerecourt
bruyere at mind.net