[Sca-cooks] The English Housewife

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 27 08:27:49 PST 2002

Greetings,

For Christmas my Mother gave me a copy of The English Housewife, Gervase Markham, Edited by Michael R. Best.
Yippee, I am very excited about this.

I did not know that the book covered such an extensive subject matter other than cooking. It is vey exciting. I was
hoping that the good gentles on this list could let me know if this is a good edition or if there are issues with the
translation I should look out for.

I think my first thing out of this is going to be:
A Norfolk Fool
Take a pint of the sweetest and thickest cream that can be gotten, and set it on the fire in a very clean scoured
skillet, and put into it sugar, cinnamon, and a nutmeg cut into four quarters, and so boil it well: then take the yolks
of four eggs, and take off the films, and beat them well with a little sweet cream: then take the four quarters of the
nutmeg out of the cream, then put in the eggs, and stir it exceedingly, till it be thick: then take a fine manchet, and
cut it into thin shives, as much as will cover a dish bottom, and, holding it in your hand, pour half the cream into the
dish: then lay your bread over it, then cover the bread with the rest of the cream, and so let it stand till it be cold:
then strew it over with caraway comfits, and prick up some cinnamon comfits, and some sliced dates; or for want therof,
scrape all over it some sugar, and trim the sides of the dish with sugar, and so serve it up.

Sounds MMM MMM good.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva