[Sca-cooks] More Egg Roll stuph- was Fw: ***A Message From Bish. I'm O.K.

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Dec 27 14:34:37 PST 2002

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Misha
> Who may make egg rolls tonight to see how they taste. Question:would it be
> adviseable to coat the wrapped with an egg wash before frying?

Probably not, unless you WANT a flaky egg coating on your egg rolls.

The purpose of the beaten egg is to seal the wrapper- water will do just
fine, in my experience, as well.

Here's the recipe Andrew MacRobb and I worked out from the one Adamantius
was talking about.

Beef Spring Rolls

1 pkg egg roll wrappers
1/2 lb lean ground beef
2 oz cabbage, finely chopped
1 oz peeled ginger root, finely chopped
1 oz dried black fungus, rehydrated and finely chopped
1 oz bamboo shoots, finely chopped
6 scallions, finely chopped
1 Tbs soy sauce
1 oz water chestnuts, finely chopped (optional)

Mix beef and veggies together with soy sauce. Fold into egg rolls wrappers,
as I described earlier. Spray with Pam and bake in 350 oven for 20 minutes
(some prefer baked to fried) or fry in hot vegetable oil for about 5
minutes- until brown.

Can sub in ground turkey for a low-fat option, but it doesn't taste quite as
good.

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,