[Sca-cooks] Lamingtons, Fairy bread, Pavlova OH MY!!!

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Dec 28 06:50:45 PST 2002

Commercial US breads don't have that much sugar, but they do use quite a bit
of milk fat solids and underbaking to get that supersoft sponge.  Lousy
bread.  And some of the mixed meal breads use too much sugar or honey in the
mix to mask the slightly sour taste of the meal, which may be where your
friends get the idea of too much sugar.

A couple local supermarkets run their own lines of artisan loaves, which are
better but tend to be over-yeasted and under salted.

The best bet is if you can find an artisan bakery, if you don't bake your
own.  Which reminds me, I need to play in the kitchen this weekend.

Bear