[Sca-cooks] Pavlova recipe (OOP)

Susan Laing paxford at gil.com.au
Sun Dec 29 05:35:51 PST 2002

As requested by Marie - a simple recipe for Pavlova.

Just as a note - the Author of the cookbook was a Home Economics teacher
that worked at same school that employed my mum (she was a Library aide).
Very nice lady with a gift for simplyfing recipes. My copy of the cookbook
is autographed ;-p

I haven't personally made this pavlova base as I purchase pre-made ones at
the store (I seem to have no natural ability with whipping eggs :-p). I use
whipped cream and fresh fruits on my pavlova's (with occassionally a dribble
of passionfruit sauce to make it look artistic) but once the shell is made
the sky's the limit with what you add to it [just remember that the bottom
gets soggy from any moisture/liquid and should be served soon after the
filling is added]

Enjoy!

Mari

Recipe taken from "Everyday Cookery" by Helen Bunny [Coterie Publications]
ISBN 0-9596523-61 c.1979

Measurements are Australian - 1 teaspoon = 5 ml; 1 tablespoon = 20 ml; 1 cup
= 250 ml
Oven temp - "Slow oven" = 300 Fahrenheit / 150 Celsius

Ingredients - 4 egg whites
pinch salt
1 cup caster sugar
2 teaspoons cornflour
1 teaspoon lemon juice

*Grease oven tray. Brush lightly with water. Shake off excess water
*Beat egg whites and salt until firm peaks form
*Add caster sugar gradually, beating well after each addition. Continue
beating until sugar is completely disolved
*Lightly fold in sifted cornflour and lemon juice
*Spread a 5mm (approx) layer of mixture to form a 23cm circle
*With remainder of mixture, pipe or spoon swirls around edge to form shell
*Bake in a slow oven for 1 hour or until Pavlova is dry to touch. Allow to
cool in oven
*When cool, add filling and serve
(serves 6)

Filling suggestions (as per Mrs Bunny's book):
Fresh fruit : Fill pavlova shell with whipped cream, decorate with
strawberries and chinese gooseberries (aka "Kiwi Fruit"), othter favour
fruit or fresh fruit salad.

Mango filling: Drain 470g can mango slices, reserve syrup and chop slices
finely. Combine 2 teaspoons of gelatine, 2 tablespoons of sugar and reserve
syrup in a saucepan and stir over low heat until gelatine and sugar are
dissolved. Add mango slices. Remove from heat, cool and refrigerate until
partly set. Whip 1 cup of cream and fold into mango mixture. Spoon into
pavlova shell. Refrigerate until set.