[Sca-cooks] Period Fish/Food Question (Gasp!)

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 31 10:05:35 PST 2002

> Adamantius> Some species are endangered, and even those that aren't endangered are not hugely abundant. Unless
somebody is farming the critters, why would it not be expensive? There's a reason why real caviar costs what it does.

Yeppers, the info I found was that Sturgeon does not take to farming. I guess my problem is that I lived on the coast
for quite awhile and the idea of fish (other than salmon) being expensive is kind of alien to me.

> Strange as it may sound, fresh sturgeon is not unlike fresh shark, which is significantly cheaper, but not necessarily
much easier to find in some parts of the country. Unlike a lot of other fish, shark (and also sturgeon) need to be
cooked for a relatively long time, or they can be tough.

Mmmmm, I love shark. My favorite is Black Tip wrapped up in tin foil with a marinade of milk and fresh ginger, keep it
in the fridge for awhile and then throw it on the grill. Mmmmm. But somehow, if I think people would be scared of fish
the idea of the answer to the "What is this" question being "Shark Soup" will probablly cause somebody to keel over.
Heh, could be fun.

> You might want to rethink this as a sideboard item, though, unless there's a way to keep it warm. Bread-thickened
sauces, when cool, can become a little on the glutinous side.

This is a Sideboardy kinda thingie. That would be if a sideboard included a full kitchen and numerous crock pots. The
autocrat chose to nix a feast and we are serving food all day long from a sideboard placed just outside the kitchen in
the main hall. So I will have no problem keeping things warm and yeah Verrily hot even. But thanks for the tip. I can
see me now - "Would you like a slice of Shark Soup?"

Great thanks,
Serena