[Sca-cooks] Re: candle wicks

Philip Lewis flip+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Feb 1 06:19:58 PST 2002

"Mark.S Harris" <mark.s.harris at motorola.com> writes:
>Someday I'm finally going to get around to making some tallow candles.
not that difficult... make sure you get/use the hard suet otherwise the
candles tend to be a bit soft.  If you tell the butcher that the suet
is not for human consumption, you'll get a much better price. (if they
don't give it to you for free) Tallow doesn't really smell bad if
you've cleaned the lipid carefully. Tallow tends to be alot softer than
beeswax.  Expect more dripage.

>Would the wicks be larger or smaller? More or less tightly twisted?
>Made of different size threads?
you can use a thinly twisted ribbon of linen or other cloth... pith,
or other natural fibers. Main thing is that it has some "body" to it
so that it doesn't flop over into the pool of wax.

Wick size depends on what you're trying to achieve.  if you want a
fast bright burning torch, use a larger wick.  if you want a long
steady burn, go a little smaller. For tapers, i'd just use a standard
size wick.

--
good luck and be safe,
flip