[Sca-cooks] RE: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #1364 - 16 msgs

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Mon Feb 4 05:42:11 PST 2002

well, speaking ex cathedra the rock [ex petra the cathedral?] or at least
from SPCA, which seems to be turning into a fairly physical representation
of the rock...on one hand, I for one hate the schlep up the hill, and then
back down [and i will eventualy have the scheckls to get myself a scooter,
despite what the navy seems to think] and the hay wagon is NOT dependable in
the least.  I know that Stefan is not particularly thrilled by the idea of
getting the food up the hill with no transport...and Johan has a scooter,
but they don't allow small wagon trailers so he can't prtage the food uphill
for us...Liadan is just about as zippy on her feet as i am, especially after
a long day.  On the other hand, there are those who live up in the barbaric
lands who don't want to come down by the lake, because [!] they don't want
to go back up the hill. The distance is a consideration, but we in the
civilized territories by the lake have to go up the hill.Short of having it
half way up/down the hill we can agree to disagree.
On the gripping hand, I can ask dur if I can bring the minivan down to do
shuttle service for after the potluck.

Just an observation, I favor a move to having it in a private camp, as
frankly, the A&S tents are hot and cramped, and scheduled. In a private
camp, we have ready access to firepits, cooking goodies, no strict ending
schedule, people can show up early to get things ready or do final touches
without jogging the elbows of the immediately previous class. The advantage
to having it in the hofla tent is that people could drop off foods at our
encampment during the day as convenient and we have the space to stash the
extra coolers and stuff to make it easier for people to 'stage' their food
prep. We also have the resources of our kitchen tools, utensiles and serving
pieces. We also have washing up facilities so you don't have to schlep dirty
stuff back up the hill, and lots of zip lock baggies, and foil for wrapping
leftovers.

youse guys choice. As hospitaller, I can just make you aware of what we have
on hand to make things easier ;-)
margali

the quote starts here:
If I may speak for the cooks who are members of Clan Kyle (and I don't think
they'll mind), we have several folks who would like to come who will
absolutely need the haywagon to get to Orluk Oasis and back.  If there is
any
possibility that the wagons would stop running before we're done, we'd need
several golf carts for rides for the disabled - assuming they decide to
allow
that this year.  And at least two people who would have to either walk or
pull small children back up the hill if they can't find babysitting.
Counting a likely minimum of 5 cooks from Clan Kyle (myself, Master Cahan,
Lady Tirza, and Lady Alison, as well as Lord Jayme who may be camping with
us), that would be five votes for the A&S tents.
Admittedly, it's more convenient for us that way.  But I also like the
option
of electric lights so we can read everybody's recipes!

Brangwayna Morgan