[Sca-cooks] pate

Druighad at aol.com Druighad at aol.com
Mon Feb 4 10:07:03 PST 2002

In a message dated 1/31/02 11:15:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
muiredach at bmee.net writes:

> Of course, if you look at what a "classic" French pate is, you'll see that
> it is cooked in some dough or other, usualy within a dish giving it the
> squarish/rectangularish typical shape.  Over time, we've come to call pate
> anything that has the inside texture/ingredients, without the actual
> dough.  A little like we call sausage even just the "stuffing" sold in bulk
> without the casing.

Of course there is also another definition(there seem to be as many def's as
there are chef's!) that a pate refers to a farce or forcemeat that is
solidifed(baked, chilled, whatever) into a terrine shape, usually with a
ceramic mold that is thinner at the bottom and slightly fare at the top,
giving a shape like a   ---    (trapezoid).

   /___\

Pate en croute is the term most people use to refer to a  pate that is
wrapped in some kind of dough, or bread.

Finn, just being tempermental.