[Sca-cooks] garum production

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Wed Feb 6 09:11:24 PST 2002

Random comment #5 -
Well, since garum was reputed to have been made by layering fish and salt in
pots, i rather think these tanks were for live storage of freshly brought in
fishies. I can dig up garum recipes, although i know there are several
webbed online in various places [i can't get into my home computer, the
keyboard suffered an overdose of coffee and is currently very dead ;-(  ]

Personally, these tanks sound just right for holding smaller fishes like
smelts or whiting, and small enough to make it easy to catch the little
buggers.

margali
the quote starts here:
Production of garum was big business and from the first century BC to the
end of the Roman period the sauce was produced in large salting plants in
many cities. The condiment was made by leaving fish to rot in salted water.
The tanks measure about three feet deep and 18in wide and date to the second
century BC. They were abandoned and covered long before Vesuvius smothered
Pompeii with ash in AD79.
Dr Rick Jones, a member of the team that found the tanks between the remains
of Roman shops and bars, believes that they may have been used to make
garum, or to store live fish before being sold at market.