[Sca-cooks] My first Redaction: Leche Lumbard

Mercy Neumark mneumark at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 7 08:45:13 PST 2002

Hello All!

As promised, I will go over what I ended up doing for Festival of the Rose
with this recipe.  I altered it quite a bit from the original on the day of
the event because I found out that I ran out of ingrediants (I THOUGHT that
it was a full box!).

I'll talk about the test subject one, since I ended up using more of the
original stuff.  Also, I wasn't sure what powdour gylofre (cloves) until
AFTER I made the first batch.  I referred to the godecookery redaction when
I didn't know what the original was, and they mentioned rosemary...so I
figured that was what powdour gylofre was (wrongly so)  Ah well.  The first
loaf came out spicy-sweet with the pepper and rosemary mixed with the dried
fruit.  I actually liked it better than the second time.

Here is the basics:

http://www.godecookery.com/incrd/incrd.htm#007

Leche Lumbard - from Forme of Cury:

66. Leche Lumbard. Take rawe pork and pulle of the skyn, and pyke out þe
synewes, and bray the pork in a morter with ayron rawe. Do þerto sugur,
salt, raysouns coraunce, dates mynced, and powdour of peper, powdour
gylofre; & do it in a bladder, and lat it seeþ til it be ynowhgh. And whan
it is ynowh, kerf it; leshe it in liknesse of a peskodde; and take grete
raysouns and grynde hem in a morter. Drawe hem vp wiþ rede wyne. Do þerto
mylke of almaundes. Colour it with saundres & safroun, and do þerto powdour
of peper & of gilofre and boile it. And whan it is iboiled, take powdour
canel and gynger and temper it vp with wyne, and do alle þise thynges
togyder, and loke þat it be rennyng; and lat it not seeþ after þat it is
cast togyder, & serue it forth.

Hieatt, Constance B. and Sharon Butler. Curye on Inglish: English Culinary
Manuscripts of the Fourteenth-Century (Including the Forme
of Cury). London: For the Early English Text Society by the Oxford
University Press, 1985.

Gode Cookery translation: Take raw pork and pull off the skin, and pick out
the sinews, and pound the pork in a morter with raw eggs. Do there to sugar,
salt, currants, minced dates, and powder of pepper, powder cloves; & do it
in a bladder, and let it boil til it be done. And when it is done, carve it;
slice it in the likeness of a peaspod; and take great raisins and grind them
in a morter. Blend it with red wine. Do there to milk of almonds. Color it
with sandlewood & saffron, and do there to powder of pepper & of cloves and
boil it. And when it is boiled, take cinnamon powder and ginger and mix it
up with wine, and do all these things together, and look that it be rennet
(coagulated); and let it not boil after that it is cast together, & serve it
forth.

Artemesia's Redaction:

Meatloaf --

1 Lbs Ground Pork
1 Egg
4 Tbs currants
1/2 little box raisens
6 Large dates, pitted and minced
1/4 tsp Sugar
1/2 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
1/8 tsp black Pepper
1/8 tsp salt

Sauce --

2 cups Almond Milk
1/2 cup Red Wine
1/2 little box of raisens
3 strands of saffron
1/8 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
1/8 tsp ginger

For meatloaf:

1.  Take all of the ingrediants and mix them up in a bowl together.  Try to
get a consistant mixture so that all the fruit and spices are distributed
evenly.

2.  Cover a baking sheet with tin foil and form meat mixtures into a shape
(if you want to see the original directions for peaspod, please go to the
website stated above).  Mine was a sun.  I tried to keep it no thicker
(height) than an inch and a half so everything cooked evenly.

3.  Put in oven at 350 degrees for roughly 35 minutes.  I orginally made a 2
pound batch, which I left in for 40 minutes, which was a little too long for
my tastes (turned a little dry).  It should be a light golden brown.

Sauce:

1.  Place in saucepan everything but the ginger and rosemary.  Bring to
boil, then bring down tempurature to a simmer.  Allow to boil down for at
least 20 to 30 minutes.

2.  Near the end of the simmering, add ginger and rosemary.  Because mine
didn't thicken, I added about 1 tablespoon arrowroot, but when I did it the
second time, it thickened...so go figure.

Plating the Meal:

1.  Clean the excess fat off of the meatloaf and then put in the center of a
large plate.

2.  Pour sauce around the loaf (not over).

3.  Serve it forth.

When I cook I do fudge the measurements depending on the taste as I cook it.
  I realize that the first time I added a lot more pepper than noted above
because I like pepper.  Also, I don't like wine sauces, so I added more
almond milk to balance off the wine flavor.  You can change things where you
see fit.

Have fun!

--Artemesia