[Sca-cooks] It's My Coronation, and I'll Cry if I want to...

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Thu Feb 14 08:07:07 PST 2002

Oh, I like the idea ;-)

I'm torn, so I have 2 ;-)

First choice - roman togo with my Hyapatia Asinia Margali persona:
of course many dishes from the Roman Cookery Book, F&R translation ;-) and a
couple of dishes from Cato's de Agricultura
I think I would like:
Pernam [pig newton] made with fresh pork haunches - previously discussed
Isicia Omentata made of lamb - small meatballs poached in liquamen and
caroenum
Pepones et Melones - cooked melon compote
Fabaciae Virides et Baianae -fava and baian beans stewed with leeks
Isicia ex Spondylis of scallops - scallop meatballs poached in a sauce
Ova Sfongia ex Lacte - sort of pancakes served with honey and ground pepper
In Ovis Apalis - hardboiled eggs in sauce
Dulcia Domestica - dates stuffed with ground nuts and stewed in honey
Mustacei - sort of like red lobster cheese biscuits made with grape must
added.
The lettuce salad with dressing - although i sort of like the sidebar
discussion i got into a couple years ago with somebody on the apicius list
where the lettuce may have been served rolled up and you dip it in the sauce
instead of dressed like we think of today.
Mortaria - cheese and garlic pounded into a paste and served on flatbread
 and a couple of other dishes I may run across ;-)

Served by handsome youths and maidens wafting by carrying serving dishes in
a slow and decorative parade rather than all at one or in several courses
[just keep circulating past and smile ;-) ]

My second choice would be something completely Andalusian, but I haven't
decided which ones, although definitely lamb features, as does chicken.
Lentils for the vegetarians. I will have to think about it and try to decide
which dishes I want to have as I doubt any cook would just like to make me
one of everything ;-)

margali

the quote starts here:
Hi, I'm here....do we need an Estrella topic, the way the "left-homes"
like me always need a Pennsic topic?
I like Thorbjorn's idea....or we could do:
"It's your investiture/coronation."  What kind of feast do you
want...... minimum two courses, period sources.....etc.?
--Maire