[Sca-cooks] Shopping as Economic Warfare

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Thu Feb 14 10:58:46 PST 2002

    One topic from which everyone could benefit is the art of guerilla
shopping. The art of schmoozing grocers and butchers can yield huge
dividends, as can attack coupon clipping , and lightning fast raids on
choice sale items. As with any form of warfare, logistics is critical, so
having lots of freezer and storage space lets you build up as opportunities
present themselves.
    I like to snag sausages just passing their expo date - usually, the meat
guy will mark it down to a buck. Into the freezer. This last time, I was
describing the upcoming event to him (he had just marked down a couple for
me), and he said, "well, I've got some others that I'm going to send back to
the warehouse or send over to the deli, make me an offer." The upshot was
that I walked out of there with about 25 lbs of Johnsonville beer brats and
sweet italians, never thawed, for $20. And 3 dozen 3 oz dogs (Kahn's) for
another $2.
    Work your suppliers; if they're your friends, they'll put stuff aside
for you . . . especially if you're an NPO that does school demos. Hit up the
grocery stores for gift certificates - almost any major chain is good for
anywhere from $20 - $50. If they know you and like you, it could be $100 or
up. Also, a lot of chains have quarterly budgets for donations. If you time
your requests right, you might just get a nice surprise . . . or get screwed
over . . .
    I'm off for Crown List, we're setting up the Tavern again, and this
time, the quality of our food is going WAY up! The weather's going to be
cold (down in the 50s), so I'm thinking about doing wuzzle to warm the
populace.

    Sieggy

The Truth Will Set You Free.
        But First It Will Piss You Off.