[Sca-cooks] Spiced Figs in Red Wine

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Thu Feb 14 14:45:23 PST 2002

Got this from a Cooking Light newsletter that I get. With the exception of
the yougurt, it seems pretty medieval to me.  (If only I could remember which
of my period cookbooks has this recipe!)
Happy Valentine's day & enjoy everyone!
Phillipa

Spiced Figs in Red Wine

FOR 2 SERVINGS:
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup dry red wine
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3 dried figs, halved
3 black peppercorns
1 (4-inch) rosemary sprig
1 (3-inch) thyme sprig
1/2 cup vanilla fat-free frozen yogurt
Rosemary sprig (optional)

Tips: Poach figs and make syrup up to two days ahead; cover and chill. If you
want just a hint of flavor, take the rosemary sprig out of the wine mixture
after 10 minutes. The longer it stays in the liquid, the stronger the
rosemary flavor. Serve the remaining wine sauce over pound cake.
1. Combine first 9 ingredients in a small heavy sauce-pan. Bring to a boil;
cook 25 minutes or until reduced to 1/2 cup. Discard peppercorns, rosemary
sprigs, and thyme sprigs.
2. Spoon 1/4 cup sauce onto a dessert plate, and reserve remaining sauce for
another use. Arrange figs and yogurt on top of sauce. Garnish with a fresh
rosemary sprig, if desired. Yield: 2 servings.