[Sca-cooks] Annual Pancake race

Dunbar, Debra debra.dunbar at aspenpubl.com
Fri Feb 15 05:33:15 PST 2002

They still do.  Annually, the Kansas race and the race in England are held
at the same time.  Locals are timed running while in a dress and an apron,
and while holding a cast iron skillet (supposedly with a pancake in it).  I
think they even need to flip the pancake upon arrive at the church door -
the finish line. There's a whole set of rules about the competition - anyone
can run the race, but only locals are considered in the rivalry between the
two cities.  Post race, both cities compare times via phone and pronounce
whether the Brits or the Yanks won that year.

The legend was that a woman (in Olney) was frying her Shrove Tuesday
pancakes in the 1400s and was going to be late for service.  In order to
make the service, and get that last pancake done, she raced from the house
with apron on, and fry pan in hand to flip the last pancake as she arrived
at the church.

This was written in an article by "Marathon and Beyond"  I believe it was
either in their November/December 2001, or their January/February 2002.  You
can check out their website at www.marathonandbeyond.com  I'm going off
memory here, since I don't have the magazine at work, so I may be off on the
exact details.

Wrynne
(mka Deb Dunbar, who runs marathons)