[Sca-cooks] GFCF diet; lactose intolerance

Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au
Sun Feb 17 16:04:32 PST 2002

http://www.recipesource.com/ is a great online recipe database, which can be searched by categories, including restricted and special diets.  I strongly recommend buying a breadmaking machine, as you can use it to make gluten and dairy free breads which are as good as 'the real thing'.

I don't have allergies to either, but have friends who do, so I have an extended tupperware collection to reflect it; I keep white rice flour, brown rice flour, chickpea flour, barley flour, oat flour, potato flour and spelt flour.

A useful recipe book is "Recipes to the rescue" which has recipes for pretty much every food allergy you can think of.  SCA wise you shouldn't have too much trouble; just let the feast stewards know in advance!  With all the feasts I steward, I cater to both dairy and wheat intolerances as a matter of course. Attendees may not get to eat every dish on the menu, but they will get a full and satisfying meal. I am sure your local feast steward will be delighted at the challenge of catering to special needs. I certainly enjoy it!

Kiriel