[Sca-cooks] feast centered event

Charlene Charette charlene at flash.net
Wed Feb 20 20:53:39 PST 2002

Hello all,

I just joined this list and would like to get some advice.  I'm sure
this has been discussed before, but the archives are so large that
scanning through them is somewhat fruitless.

I'm autocratting an event where the main focus of the event is the
feast.  I'm not a cook, but I am an autocrat so I thought it would be
fun to do an event and let the cooks play.  Our feasts run 150-300
people; this event will be 50-75 which will allow for dishes that are
usually too time-consuming or expensive to do.

While I'm want to the cooks to be as involved as they care to be, I
thought I'd gather ideas for our brainstorming meeting.  My main
questions at this point (I'm sure I'll have others) are:

I was thinking of having a cook or set of cooks each do a "segment"
(what is the correct term?  I've heard that neither course nor remove
are accurate terms for "a set of dishes") with a head cook to coordinate
everyone.  How have you selected dishes?  Three possibilities that come
to mind are:  a tour through time with each segment being a different
time period; a world tour with each segment being a different
geographical location; recreate a documented period feast.

Someone suggested to me that spring would be a good time to do this
because of the availablility of fresh herbs and produce.  Someone else
thought summer would be good because it's hot (southeastern Texas) and
an indoor, air-conditioned event would be welcolmed then.  Comments?

Thanks!
--Perronnelle

--
It is enough that the people know there was an election.  The people who
cast the votes decide nothing.  The people who count the votes decide
mailto:findbook at flash.net