sticking eggs, was Re: [Sca-cooks] How long do eggs keep?

letrada at yahoo.com letrada at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 23 15:46:00 PST 2002

I've read that but it doesn't seem to work very well for me (but the quick cooling does keep the yolk from turning green).  The best technique I've found is to peel them under running water and not try to break off too big a chunk of shell at a time.  Hold them with the already peeled part up, so the water gets between the egg and shell.  It's still a pain getting the egg "started" but once you get inside that membrane you can keep the whole egg in one piece as long as you don't hurry.

In case it helps.

As for music to cook by, if I know what I'm doing it'll probably be an audiobook (unabridged only, I like the whole story); if I need to pay more attention than that it can be anything from the Trappist Monks of Gethsemane to AC/DC (via Tom Lehrer, Radio Futura, and Gary Numan).  Current favorites are Switchblade Symphony and Apocalyptica, but I'll listen to anything but country, opera, "real" jazz, and rap (well, and some of those but I'm REAL picky).

Dana/Ximena

FROM   : Philippa Alderton
...If, for some reason, you need to hard-boil fresh eggs
..., start cold eggs in cold water, bring up to
temp and hold until hard boiled, then quickly drain
and hit them with quantities of cold water to cool.
This will make them easy to peel, and the yolks remain
bright yellow. ...

Phlip