[Sca-cooks] Protein

Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au
Thu Feb 28 21:09:31 PST 2002

I have catered a few lunches at various Principality events, both camping and otherwise. My advice is:

1. Salami

In bulk it can be quite cost effective, keeps well, and can be sliced by the deli when you buy it. Those who don't eat pork products can eat the eggs and cheese and stop being so damnably fussy. <grin>

2. Sausages

If you have the ability to set up a gas barbequeue, then buying bulk thin sausages and cooking them up is a good option.  You can also precook them and serve 'em cold, or boil them up before hand so that you only have to heat them on the bbq.  My experience is that fighters will just keep coming back for more of them, and are happy with a piece of bread and a sausage.  Drake and I did soem experimentation with early sausage recipes and ended up going to a sausage manufacturer, handing them bags of spices which they then made into sausages using their usual mince mix. This meant we got all those lovely preservatives, maximising our hygiene and food safety, as it was a camping event.  We ended up with 3 different sausages for 250 people, and I think paid $3 a kilo for them. (there are about 12 sausages in a kilo)

3. Chicken drumsticks

Chicken drumsticks are very very cheap to buy (at least here in Australia they are!) and can be cooked either on the bbq on the day or before hand and kept cold.  They are in handy serving sizes and mean that people don't have to worry about plates and cutlery.

Kiriel