[Sca-cooks] Known World Cooks potluck at Gulf Wars

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Feb 3 18:42:21 PST 2002

rRovena replied to me with:
> Stefan li Rous wrote:
> >snip
> >So, the message I sent about the Known World Cooks Pot Luck may
> >meet the same fate.
> >
> >I guess I'm still going and I will try to work something out for
> >both of these, but this bodes ill for how well this event is being
> >run.
> >
> >Stefan
>
> Even if it doesn't get in the program booklet that shouldn't be a
> problem.  Just decide when and where you want to do this and advertise
> it.  Post it to any e-mail lists you think helpful and there are lots of
> herald board on site for posting of  last minute changes.

No, this doesn't hurt an item like the SCA-Cooks get together. There is
already a built in communications channel with the SCA-Cooks and
other food mailing lists.

It does however, have a bigger effect on my pewter casting class, since
most people usually find out about such classes from the Gulf Wars
booklet. And I have no easy communication channel that specifically
reaches those who might be interested in learning about how to cast
pewter with a period method in a hands-on class. Last year I was
able to get some notices posted at Gulf Wars on my class.

However, it now looks like the Known World Cooks pot luck will be
happening at Gulf Wars. I am working on confirming the details and
find out what facilities we will have and which may need to be
rounded up from elsewhere.

So tentatively we have:
5 - 7 PM, Thursday in Tent 2.

I'm working on finding out whether we will have electricity, lights,
tables or chairs. The other two tents have a class and another
activity in them, so we most likely can't borrow any stuff from
them.

---------------------------
All of the class tents are full. I thought last year they had
more than three tents. Seems rather paltry compared to the
12? 13? or more class tents at Pennsic. Pennsic has 10K+ people.
Last year 12K. But Gulf Wars has 4000+ people. I guess Gulf Wars
is primarily for the fighters and anything else is just to
molify the significant others, whom otherwise might not allow
their SOs to go to the war to fight.

I have been told I can probably get some space in the class
area, but I will have to provide my own pavilion. I don't
know if they will provide chairs and a table in this case or
not. I started teaching my class at Gulf Wars before there
were class tents and have taught them while the rain was
sprinkling down. The only other pavilion we have is a lightwieght
striped green and white plastic one that I could bring along
and pitch if the weather looks bad, but not too bad.

They also talked about me doing a class on a single day in the
Period Encampment. But I think using an electric melting pot
rather than a charcoal fire is better for folks trying to learn
pewter casting for the first time. They also didn't have much
in the way of tables or chairs in the Period Encampment last
year. It's difficult to carve stone with it sitting in your
lap.
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net