[Sca-cooks] Re: To bake a tarte of prunes (redaction and questions)

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Mon Feb 4 02:04:38 PST 2002

Saluti all!

(I'm finally back on-list! hope you all had a great holiday)

Anyway, Sabina Welserin has a recipe that specifies, i.e.:
70 A tart with plums, which can be dried or fresh
and the next recipe is:
71 Another tart with fresh plums

Below is my redaction of the same recipe. I did it five years ago, and
probably isn't quite how I would do it nowadays, but it's sometimes useful
to compare different versions. As I remember, the filling was quite stodgy,
baked to a firm (Christmas) fruit mince consistency, and was one dish at
that feast that was completely eaten at the table.

To make a Tarte of Prunes: Take Prunes and wash them, then boil them with
faire water, cut in halfe a peny loaf of white bread, and take them out and
strain them with Claret wine, season it with sinamon, Ginger and Sugar, and
a little Rosewater, make the paste as fine as you can, and dry it, and fill
it, and let it drie in the oven, take it out and cast on it Biskets and
Carawaies.

12 oz (350 g) prunes
4 ox (100 g) fresh white breadcrumbs
½ pint (275 ml) red wine
1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
1 tsp (5 ml) ground ginger
3 oz (75 g) sugar
1 T (15 ml) rosewater
Short (not flaky) Pastry sheets
Soak the prunes overnight. Line a pie dish with the pastry and bake blind
(ie line pastry with greaseproof paper and fill with beans or ceramic baking
beads) at GM 7, 425°F/220°C for 15 minutes. Remove paper and beans/beads.
Simmer the prunes in a little water for 10 - 15 minutes until tender. Drain
and stone the prunes then blend them with the other ingredients to form a
smooth thick paste. Spoon the filling into the pastry case, and return to
the oven to bake at GM 4, 350°F/180°C for 1 hour 30 minutes. Serve either
hot or cold.

Ciao
Lucrezia

Lady Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia   |  mka Tina Nevin
Thamesreach Shire, The Isles, Drachenwald
mailto:thorngrove at yahoo.com | http://www.geocities.com/~thorngrove
cnevin at vizzavi.co.uk (phone email)
"There is no doubt that great leaders prefer hard drinkers to good
versifiers"
- Aretino, 1536

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be confidential, proprietary,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is
intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not
an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately
at postmaster at caci.co.uk

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.