[Sca-cooks] Middle Eastern Food

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 4 12:40:55 PST 2002

> Jaime asked:
> > Question concerning yogurt in Middle Eastern
> period dishes.  I was under the impression that
> yogurt back then was more like sour cream today?  Is
> that correct?  My ex-father in law is from the
> Middle East and he always said that the yogurt here
> was not strong or thick enough. <

In addition to Adamantius' comments, quoted by Stefan,
about the differing strains of little bugs souring the
cream, Middle Eastern folk tend to use a lot more goat
and sheep milk than we do here- most of our milk comes
from cows, and that would cause a large flavor
difference right there. Are you on sufficiently good
terms with your ex F-in-law, that you might ask him if
this might be the case?

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,