[Sca-cooks] Pennsic Potluck, and Courtesy

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 13:06:57 PST 2002

--- Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:

> Uh oh. Now that you remind me of this, I'm suddenly
> wondering
> if I WANT to particpate in this again.

Relax, Stefan, I have it covered. I'm not your Chief
Cat Wrangler for nothing ;-) My plans are in place-
they include making Cook's List aware of the
situation, as I have done, and will do closer to
Pennsic, attempting to change the venue to a more
relaxed atmosphere, and observing how things go this
year. If manners don't improve, I will withdraw from
any future potlucks, discuss it in Household, and
consider running our own, invitation only Potluck.
Certainly I haven't noticed any shortage of folk
willing to join us for dinner- you have noticed the
people vying to do us favors in hopes of an
invitation, haven't you?

> I cerainly do remember this. I'm an insulin
> dependant diabetic.
> I had taken my evening insulin injection back in
> camp as there was
> no convenient way to take it up on the Serrengetti
> where the
> class tents were. I realized just as the food rush
> began that
> I was having a low-blood sugar episode. What I
> needed were a
> few of the sweet candies or dessert from the table.
> However,
> there was a tight circle of people around the table
> and I
> couldn't get through without making a scene. After
> making some
> attempts to break through, including voiced
> requests, I gave up
> and sat down, hoping the rush would shortly pass.
> Liadan, bless
> her, saw the problem I was having and shoved her way
> through the
> throng to get me some things.

Wish you'd reminded me before- thought you had things
under control- you usually do. If necessary, I could
have found you a nearby place to take your shot in
privacy- including Point and Johan's shop- and made
sure you got food immediately, including before our
food was set out.

> These were certainly not the manners that I've often
> seen in
> the Society. But then, one of the symptoms of a low
> blood sugar
> is a feeling of agitation and nervousness. I've
> thought that
> maybe this has colored my rememberance of this
> event. Maybe
> not as much as I thought it did, since Phlip has
> also described
> this event similarly.

Well, I was certainly surprised, considering the
manners exhibited in previous potlucks.

> > My thought is that if the Potluck were held in a
> more
> > friendly, and perhaps private, environment,
> perhaps
> > more courtesy might be displayed.
>
> Maybe.

I prefer to think that our people were fine, if a bit
unprepared. Certainly no lack of courtesy would be
exhibited by members of this List, so it must have
entirely been the walk-ins - thus, another reason to
change the venue ;-P

> I also remember that there was a problem cleaning
> up. The trash
> can quickly filled to capacity and there weren't any
> additional
> trash bags available and various items were left
> behind by folks.
> Some of this can be fixed with preperation, like
> making sure to
> bring some extra trash bags and something to wipe
> the table down
> with. But for the unexpected, it is nice to have a
> nearby camp to get
> cleanup stuff from or to leave left behind items at.
> And although it
> then falls on the camp folks shoulders, there is not
> the problem
> of making sure the table and tent are shipshape for
> the classes
> the next day in the same space.

Oh dear- I am certainly at fault here. While I think I
added a few trash bags at the last minute to the
wagon, I may have forgotten, and I left early, with
Kiri as an escort, to avoid another potential
problem.... Normally, I stay to clean up. My
apologies...

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,