[Sca-cooks] 50 years of Queen Elizabeth II (OT)

Mark Calderwood mark-c at acay.com.au
Wed Feb 6 17:56:59 PST 2002

 > To All our Commonwealth members of the SCA, Congradulations on 50 years of
 > uninterrupted Monarchy.

On behalf of the few royalists left, thanks!

>In Australia the populace likes her so much we voted to not become a
>republic recently.

Well, that's not really correct. The referendum was not about voting the
monarchy out, it was about installing a new model of government. That
referendum was defeated because the electorate did not support the proposed
model. Whatever the outcome, Australia would have remained part of the
Commonwealth. The arguement that it was about rejecting the Queen was
vastly over-simplified (and erroneous) propaganda.

>the British monarchy has been
>uninterrupted since Charles II

Tradition has it that the succession is never broken: when a sovereign
dies, his/her successor immediately becomes the new monarch. Thus upon the
death of her father King George VI, Princess Elizabeth was immediately
proclaimed Queen. The Monarchy itself has been in place without
interruption since the Restoration of Charles II, 342 years ago.

Of course, the Golden Jubilee celebrations will not take place until the
50th anniversary of the Coronation, on June 2nd 2003. :o)

Food content: When not required to dine formally, the Queen often takes her
meals on a tray in front of the tv so she can watch the evening news. Her
Majesty's favourite dessert is Spotted Dick.

Long may she reign!

Giles