[Sca-cooks] Almond Milk...place to find it

Elaine Koogler ekoogler011 at home.com
Thu Feb 7 07:24:14 PST 2002

-----Original Message-----

I have never had it in anything other than sweets.

Jaime

Then you're missing one of the great joys of life.  Now understand, I'm
talking about straight coconut milk that either comes in a can...not the
stuff you use to mix pina coladas, but the unsweetened variety...or the
stuff you make from squeezing the shredded raw coconut meat with the juice
in the shell.  I'm including a couple of wonderful recipes below:
LEMON GRASS SOUP

5 cups CHICKEN BROTH
2 cups COCONUT MILK
1/2 cup LEMON JUICE
1/2 cup FISH SAUCE
3 or 4 PCS. GALANGA ROOT
3 or 4 PCS. LEMON LEAVES/LEMON ZEST (GRATED)
2 stalks finely minced LEMON GRASS or 2 tsp. dried LEMON GRASS
One 8 OZ CANS STRAW MUSHROOMS
2 WHOLE CHICKEN BREASTS, SLICED INTO 1" PIECES
2 FRESH GREEN CHILIS, diagonally sliced 1/8" THICK
1/2 tsp SUGAR

1.  HEAT CHICKEN BROTH IN A LARGE POT.
2.  ADD COCONUT MILK AND STIR WELL.
3.  ADD LEMON JUICE AND FISH SAUCE, ALONG WITH GALANGA, LEMON LEAVES, LEMON
GRASS.
4.  SIMMER FOR 15 MINUTES.  ADD CHILIS AND LET STAND 10 MINUTES.
5.  STRAIN SOLIDS FROM BROTH, THEN REHEAT.
6,  ADD CHICKEN AND MUSHROOMS--SIMMER FOR 10 MINUTES AND SERVE.

Marinated Beef on Skewers
(Sate Nuae)

4 servings

11/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
1 tablespoon Red Curry Paste
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 pound round steak or flank steak, sliced into long narrow strips,
	1 inch wide x 3 inches long (24 to 32 strips)

In a long flat dish, mix the coconut milk, red curry paste, fish sauce and
curry powder together.  Add the beef strips and marinate them in the
refrigerator for at least 5 hours, or overnight

Preheat the broiler or outdoor grill.  Weave 2 strips of meat onto each
skewer, lengthwise.  There will be approximately 12 to 16 skewers.  Broil or
grill for 5 minutes on each side.  Serve with the Nam Jim Sate

Peanut-Coconut Milk Dipping Sauce
(Nam Jim Sate)

11/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
1 tablespoon Red Curry Paste
1/2 cup unsalted chunky-style peanut butter
11/2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon fish sauce

Heat 3/4 cup coconut milk in a saucepan.  Add the red curry paste and stir
until the mixture is pale amber and the coating of oil appears on the
surface.  Add the peanut butter, vinegar, sugar, fish sauce and remaining
coconut milk.  Continue cooking, stirring for 8 to 10 minutes. or until the
sauce has thickened slightly.  Allow the sauce to cool slightly and serve
with the sate.
Neither of these recipes, to the best of my knowledge, are period.  They are
from a modern Thai cookbook.  However, they are both "traditional" Thai
dishes and are quite good.  The peanut dipping sauce is so good that I've
had folks eat it slathered on bread!  The fish sauce that is called for is
"Nam Pla" and can be acquired at any reasonable oriental grocery store.  The
only thing you should have any difficulty in acquiring are the lemon leaves,
but there is a substitute for that.
I hope you enjoy!!
Kiri