[Sca-cooks] OT- Woe is me!

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 7 08:12:22 PST 2002

Oh dear, my sympathies!  I'm nursing a fighter with one wing down, he won't be
able to fight again until September or so and he's awfully grumpy about it.
He's never gotten hurt fighting, but he's not allowed to do housework without
full plate armor anymore.  He was putting away Christmas decorations when he
took a fall in the garage and neatly separated a biceps tendon from the elbow
bone.  Surgery last week, cast for 6 weeks, and complain, complain, complain all
the while.  Well, I should not worry, if he's well enough to complain then he's
not so badly off is he?

Anyway, onto soft foods:  learn to love your blender.  If you don't already have
one, get a good one, it's worth the money.  Mine is a Waring Bar Blendor which
can reduce ice cubes to slush without a fight.  Now, you have a 12-year-old boy,
who will probably resist "baby food" like poison and assert his incipient
"manhood."  What I suggest here is manly "sports drinks" and smoothies like
athletes drink.  You can start with Milo Milk or fruit-flavored yogurts [live
cultures please], add such things as protein powder, raw egg [from a reputable
source], fresh fruit [banana is popular but it tends to predominate other
flavors, I like a nice really ripe peach or pear], wheat germ, bran [good if
he's not been getting enough fibre on this liquid regimen], ginseng or other
herbal elixirs, wheat grass or whatever your local health foodies are touting at
the moment.  If you have any herbal inclinations whatsoever, try to sneak in
some "female herbs" like raspberry leaf or blessed thistle combos, they are
chock-full of calcium for his [and your] healing bones and have the added bonus
of evening out those adolescent hormone mood swings.

Good luck and good healing to all of you!

Selene, in Sunny [#$%^ freezing] Southern California, Caid