[Sca-cooks] temperature comparisons

Tara Sersen Boroson tboroson at netcarrier.com
Fri Feb 8 10:12:05 PST 2002

> A fairly accurate list of how different folks deal
> with cold temperatures. You missed -10, though,
> Margali. That's where I used to run out barefoot, to
> push a friend's car out of the snow plow leavings,
> when I lived in NH.
>
> Hey, I was only out for a few minutes ;-)
>
> Phlip

:) I'm not from New England, but I should have been.  My husband, who's
from way upstate NY and is accustomed to 12 or more inches of snow on
the ground from Thanksgiving to Passover, is cold intolerant and often
frustrated by my lack of winter preperations.  Our first Thanksgiving,
we went to his parents house.  I rewired his mothers basement for phone
and modem lines, including outside work on the connections, barefoot and
without a coat.  He couldn't decide whether decide whether to be highly
amused or to strangle me.  His mother decided that she loved me.  It was
a good start.

My idea of winter dressing is a scarf and sometimes an extra sweater.  I
only wear a coat when it's raining, very windy, or (most often) when I
need the pockets.

On the other end of the spectrum, I don't suffer in the summer, either,
and he does.  The secretary at my last job would make me leave an
itinerary when I went running at lunch time in July and August because
she was afraid I'd pass out and she'd have to tell the ambulance where
to look for me.  Meanwhile, my husband starts begging me to let him buy
an air conditioner as soon as the temperature hits 80 degrees.

Maybe I'm hardened by my college years of working in a diner, going from
the hot kitchen into either the over-air-conditioned dining room or the
walk-in cooler?

-Magdalena