[Sca-cooks] Long pepper query

David Dendy ddendy at silk.net
Sat Feb 9 00:35:06 PST 2002

You need to grind the catkins of long pepper. I don't recall any recipes
calling for it whole (although it might go well in pickles which call whole
peppercorns). I like it in recipes for fish dishes and in vegetable dishes
of the "cabbage and . . ." sort. A little in gingerbread is also good. Try
adding some (broken into smaller pieces) to the pepper in your peppermill
and it will greatly "enliven" it. The aromatic component, in addition to the
pungency of ordinary pepper, means it is worth substituting or adding it
wherever pepper is called for.

David Dendy / ddendy at silk.net
partner in Francesco Sirene, Spicer / sirene at silk.net
Visit our Website at http://www.silk.net/sirene/