[Sca-cooks] Rice Tart and orenge tart

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat Feb 9 09:13:11 PST 2002

>I can't find a recipe for a rice tart that has both oranges and rice,
>but I found recipes for both in original manuscripts.
>
>>From The Second part of the good huswives jewell. 1597
>To bake a citron pie

In modern use, at least, "citron" is a distinct fruit, related to but
different than an orange. I will be happy to show you one, but not
quite yet--the tree is only about waist high.

>From Epulario or The Italian Banquet 1598
>To make a fat tarte with rice

Note that, despite the date, this is not the same cuisine. Epulario
is an English translation of an Italian cookbook, and is very closely
related to two fifteenth century Italian cookbooks (Platina and
Martino). So there is not much reason to think that a combination of
the two recipes is a likely guess at something that would have been
made.