[Sca-cooks] Cooking with Bonzer- or, Adventures in Modern Cooking

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 9 09:35:20 PST 2002

Johan and Stefan tried to gang up on me:

> Johan asked:
> > Phlip, Dear Lady,  have you been mixing
> blacksmithing with cooking?
> >
> > Is Margali's stove built by NC Tools or possibly
> Johnson, Inc?
> >
> > I really want to see that 1700-1750 degree ham!

Johan, My Dear Lord, I haven't told you everything
yet.... ;-)

Actually, a few years ago, some guy was making the
rounds of the talk shows touting using oxy-acet
torches to quick cook burgers and such, and I thought
I'd try something similar. Harlow decided I was crazy,
but with his help, I actually managed to use a propane
torch to cook a steak. Had it seared on the outside,
and very rare on the inside, just the way I like it.
Later, when I got a propane atmospheric, I tried using
it, but I used an aluminum pan, and it burned through
before the meat got touched- made a Hell of a mess. I
did have later success with a piece of scrap steel
plate. Also tried it on a coal forge, but coal is not
a preferred cooking flavor.....

--- Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:

> I've not tried this with ham. But here is a file on
> the likely
> result:
> charcoal-msg      (29K)  9/28/01    Use and making
> of charcoal in period.

Thanks for the file, Stefan, but I'd really rather use
something less greasy than ham for my fuel. Grease,
like resin, is not a preferred component of smithing
charcoal.

Hey Johan- think we ought to refer the guys on
TheForge to this file?? They're having a long
conversation on making smithing charcoal- I'm saving
it to send to Stefan.

And Johan, for all your mentioned interest in baking,
you haven't baked a blamed thing I've heard about.
Bear, send him a couple of period recipes and put him
to work, will ya?

Phlip,
who isn't kidding when she says she can turn
foodstuffs into food, given _any_ heat source.

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,