[Sca-cooks] gallons and pottles (Elizabethan)

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Feb 9 15:47:17 PST 2002

While there are several different measures for a gallon, the standard
Elizabethean measure was the wine gallon (231 cu. in.) which matches the
modern standard US measures.  Imperial measures were adopted in 1826 (IIRC).
A pottle is two quarts or half a gallon.

Since you are talking wine in this recipe, just haul out your measuring
cups.

Bear