[Sca-cooks] OOP - Seeking Latino Seafood Soup Recipe (and name!), 2nd attempt

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Feb 10 06:22:56 PST 2002

>On 10 Feb 2002, at 0:29, Stefan li Rous wrote:
>
>>  Ok, so what is the logical reason for seeing a Cuban/Chinese
>>  resturant?
>
>The same reason for seeing an American/Chinese restaurant.
>
>In the 19th century, many Chinese laborers went to Cuba to work
>on the sugar plantations, just as they went to the U.S. to work on
>the railroads and in the mines.  They -- and their descendants --
>remained.  When the Communists rose to power in Cuba, many
>members of the Chinese-Cuban community chose to emmigrate to
>the U.S.  A bunch of them went to New York.
>
>I first discovered the joys of fried plantains at a Cuban-Chinese
>restaurant on the Upper West Side.

Interesting! I had no idea the phenomenon was so old, although the
basic reason remains unchanged. They left China hoping for a better
life, and instead the life they thought they had left followed them,
so they left again. Or perhaps I've simply spoken to the wrong wave
of immigrants to get a complete picture.

Adamantius