[Sca-cooks] Politics rant

Tara Sersen Boroson tboroson at netcarrier.com
Sun Feb 10 08:50:04 PST 2002

Great argument!  I think I see a little of both sides being true,
depending on whether you tend to play with the PTB or the "unwashed
masses."  But, since there tend to be far more "unwashed masses" than
PTB, I do see far more of Phlip's scenario.

The politics I've seen can be ugly.  As ugly as Siggy says.  And that
certainly must drive people away, though I haven't known any of them
personally.  If I were trying to play with those people and found myself
embroiled in that crap, I'd probably be out of there in no time.

But, the vast bulk of the populace isn't all that interested in what's
going on "up there."  They want to swing a stick, eat some good food,
buy some cool jewelry and party with their friends.  When they
eventually leave, it's because real life has made SCA life seem pretty
shallow.  I know how that feels - I barely have enough time and money
now for my house, garden, pets, upcoming baby, husband and hobbies
(weaving, sewing, knitting, cooking, music, etc.)  And I don't have a
job, or waste time watching TV.  Going away for an SCA event every
weekend while my garden withers and my dog sits in a kennel doesn't
strike me as right anymore.  Spending money on high quality materials
and tools and hundreds of hours working on a project that will only be
seen at SCA events seems pretty silly when I could be spending that time
and money making a new sweater for my husband, or a pile of clothing for
the baby.  I've known plenty of other people who've moved away from the
SCA for such reasons.  I've also known people who stay somewhat active
by coming to meetings or chatting on listservs, but are too impoverished
to attend events.  I know folks who own their own businesses who can
rarely take a Saturday off to come to an event, and eventually drift off
entirely.

Here's a third scenario, just to throw a kink in the works ;)  There are
also those of us who get frustrated by the lack of quality we see at
many events and the attitudes of many of the people who dress/act so
poorly.  That makes us less eager to spend our time and money knocking
ourselves out to do things right.  I find it hard to get into the spirit
of doing things well when I see people dressed like gothic strumpets,
Pre-Raphaelite nymphs or fantasy novel barbarians.  Especially since
their attitudes are so anti-improvement.

-Magdalena