[Sca-cooks] re:Happy New Year

Ginny Claphan mizginny at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 11 09:26:27 PST 2002

Mordonna wrote:
Subject: [Sca-cooks] Happy New Year

Gung Hay Fat Toy to Master A, and anyone else
celebrating the New Year.  May the Year of the
Horse bring us all Peace and Prosperity!
==========
And to you too!

I had a smallish dinner not-quite but almost Chinese New Year's party (ok 25
people) at my place last weekend, Nothing too fancy.

A friend made up party favors of chocolate coins, lemon drops and butterscotch
candies, wrapped in red paper.

The food:
Bowl of oranges
Japanese Haw candy
marbled tea eggs
Coconut cookies
cold boiled shrimp
potsticker dumplings (bok choy, black beans, ground pork, green onions, sugar,
soy sauce, 5 spice, rice wine) fried then poached in chicken broth
steam buns (ground pork, red bean paste)
shrimp egg rolls
lotus root soaked in grenadine
steamed shrimp wontons
grilled, skewered  pork (marinade of plum wine, soy sauce, honey, 5 spice,
pepper)
My sister-in-law made a fruit pizza with a sugar cookie base, cream cheese and
fresh fruit, in the shape of an oriental dragon's face. It's very cute.

We also frozen blackberries and strawberries w/ angel food cake.

Unfortunately, I ran out of time to do more food and food art. Wei-Chuan
publishing published a wonderful book on Chinese garnishes. They have pictures
and instructions to do all sorts of marvelous things on creating elaborate
dragons, cranes, fish, etc. It also includes instructions on how to make a
fishnet out of a carrot. Granted, the carrot must be about 4 inches in diameter
to do properly.

I still have ingredients left and lots of gyozu wrappers, so I might do more
tonight. Shao-mai (pork dumplings shaped like moneybags) sound promising.

Cheers,
Gwyneth