[Sca-cooks] OT- Not so woe is me!

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Feb 11 22:26:13 PST 2002

Glenda said:
> I've found
> that I can do a lot of things using my left hand and body as to hold things,
> but I still can't get the lids of jars. It's bearable in the kitchen now,
> but I can't drive until the bone is completely healed, so I think that's
> going to end up being the worst thing.

I'm happy to hear that your son is doing so well. I hope your healing
also progresses well.

A month or two ago, I bought a gadget made for opening tight jar
and bottle lids. I've used the rubber pads for a while but only had
so-so luck with them, so I thought I'd try this gadget. It has a
soft foam rubbery handle. On the end of this is a triangular shaped
piece of plastic with two toothed metal ridges embedded into the
edges of the plastic. You press this over the top of the jar lid
until the edges of the lid engage the metal strips. When you hold
the jar and then rotate the handle, the teeth in the metal strips
dig into the lid and allow the top to be turned. If you would find
a way to mount the handle, you could then simply press a jar into
the wedge and turn it. There may in fact, already be such wall
mounted units available.

Or perhaps you could clamp the toothed wedge upside down on the
counter. Then if you can turn over the jar this would work. You
would just have to remember to only start the loosening this way
and then turn the jar rightside up to complete unscrewing it.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net