[Sca-cooks] Eastern European History Cooking with Bonzer. . .

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Feb 12 07:15:52 PST 2002

>Anahita said:
>>  Adamantius wrote:
>>  >I think "little Wallachia" isn't so much to distinguish it from some
>>  >other Wallachia, as with, say, White Russia, just a reference to its
>>  >being little, probably in comparison to various enemies. Not unlike
>>  >the occasional references we see to Little Israel; they're still just
>>  >talking about Israel.
>>
>>  And certainly not to be confused with Little Egypt ;-}
>
>So, what is this "little Israel"? Are they referring to the original,
>smaller nation of Israel formed in 1948, compared to the today's
>larger Israel which,

Whups, mundane political content of a sensitive nature here! Probably
not best served here. Wouldn't be prudent... ;-)... (Sorry to quote
Daddy instead of the current incarnation, but I needed a coherent
sentence. And speaking of sensitive topics...)

Little Israel (AFAIK) is just a name given by some people to describe
Israel, possibly somewhat in terms of an underdog in comparison to
its various, mostly larger, enemies.

And as for Little Egypt, I can only say that from all accounts, she
could probably have gotten Rumpolt's homeland away from him, too, far
more easily than the Turks could.

Adamantius