[Sca-cooks] Re: Chainmail- was Everyone gone already?

Jaime Declet jjdeclet at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 14 07:37:00 PST 2002

  Philippa Alderton <phlip_u at yahoo.com> wrote:
It's fairly easy, depending on how much effort you
want to put into it. Most of the people I know cut the
links, then put them together while watching TV or
sitting on the sidelines at events, rather like
spinning or weaving.

Basic chainmail consists of getting wire of a
preferred thickness and material, and wrapping it
around a dowel in a tight coil, then cutting through
the coil to make individual links, then sitting and
putting the links together in your chosen pattern.
Depending on how authentic you want to be, you can
leave the links open, only held closed by the natural
bend of the metal, shaped with pliers, or you can weld
them all shut, or you can flatten the ends of both
links and join them with a pin or rivet. All three
methods were used in period.

I suspect Stefan has information on it in the
Florilegium- if not, I can introduce you to friends
who have made it, and they can help.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,

Thanks that actually answered many of my questions.

Jaime
Sca-cooks mailing list
Sca-cooks at ansteorra.org