[Sca-cooks] Everyone gone already?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Feb 14 09:12:58 PST 2002

>>I got the "baby" [a little pink plastic baby, modern version;
>>originally a bean] last year so it's my obligation to make the cake at
>>least.  Still waiting for the "good luck" though.
>
>>Selene, Caid
>
>What?  I don't get it.
>
>Olwen, without a project.

Do a Web search for Gateau du Roi or Galette du Roi. Coming into this
conversation late, I could be wrong, but it sounds like a 12th Night
Cake custom, wherein whoever gets the plastic baby, bean, gold coin,
button, etc., in their portion of cake, is elected the suc-- the
lucky soul who gets to Do The Thing, such as being the Lord/Lady of
Misrule. This is probably a Roman Saturnalia custom, originally.

Adamantius