[Sca-cooks] Shopping as Economic Warfare

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Feb 14 21:07:34 PST 2002

Sieggy said:
>     One topic from which everyone could benefit is the art of guerilla
> shopping. The art of schmoozing grocers and butchers can yield huge
> dividends, as can attack coupon clipping , and lightning fast raids on
> choice sale items. As with any form of warfare, logistics is critical, so
> having lots of freezer and storage space lets you build up as opportunities
> present themselves.

Well, I really don't like to see this kind of thing classified as
"warfare". In warfare, one side usually wins and one loses. Or both
lose. I think the best is when everyone thinks they've won.

For a real good article on working with butcher and building up a
relationship that both of you can win from, I happen to like this
article in the Florilegium by Adamantius:
HC-butchers-art   (13K) 10/ 4/97    For Headcooks - How to work with your local
                                       butcher.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/HC-butchers-art.html

Another good one that I like is how Baron Akim got his quinces to make
quince paste two years ago. Quinces are usually rather expensive in
the grocery. They also happen to need to be overly ripe before you
can use them. (See the quinces-msg file in the Florilegium). Anyway,
Akim managed to time it to show up at his grocery when the quinces
were beginning to look old and "gooey". And offered the grocery a
fraction of their original asking price for these ugly, doubtlessly
about to go to waste, fruits. And thus he came to Pennsic with a
large container of quince paste which some of us there got to taste.

Unfortunately, I think only Central Market has quinces in Austin
and even then only about a quart of so. And I've not managed to
time it right to take advantage of this technique of Akim's.

Akim, feel free to correct me or add any more details.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net