[Sca-cooks] Acquisition of worldly goods

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Feb 15 03:53:53 PST 2002

>Morgana commented:
>>  My latest gadget got its maiden voyage at Aethelmearc Twelfth Night.  A
>>  "boat motor" is perfect for soups, especially the carrot soup I served
>>  for the first course.  I anticipate lots more fun for the happy gadget.
>>  (By the by for those unfamiliar with the term, "boat motor" means
>>  inversion blender.)
>
>Whew! I'm glad you explained this. I was wondering if you were somehow
>using one of those battery powered trolling motors for this.
>
>Made me think of the "Home Improvement" TV show.

I could be wrong, but rather than "inversion blender", isn't it
"immersion blender"? The big professional ones really rather do
resemble a trawling motor, and can pulverize just about anything you
can imagine putting into food (even remotely legitimate, that is).

Case in point: at a Provencal restaurant I worked in, it was the
practice to semi-pulverize whole, live, blue-claw crabs to stir into
several of the fish stocks, thus giving them an intense crab flavor,
suitable for a-la-minute-pseudo-bouilliabaise and variants thereof.
They'd be mushed up into a fairly chunky state in the big Hobart
mixer with a paddle attachment, but then, after being added to the
stock, with various other stuff, it would get whizzed up by a very
large immersion blender, which really did look a bit like an outboard
motor, and then it would be strained through a fine chinoise strainer
before service.

Maybe it's inversion blender because, compared to a normal blender,
where the blades point up into a pitcher of sorts, this one has its
blades pointing down. But I've always heard the term "immersion"...

Adamantius