[Sca-cooks] scavenger hunt game

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 15 08:19:10 PST 2002

>Olwen said:
> > >9- Strangest recipe made with a whole fish.
> >
> > >Have fun.
> > >
> > >Cindy
> >
> > On Lamprey in a Pie from de Nola is pretty strange to me.
>
>But once it is in the pie is it any more strange than any other
>fish pie?
>
>I'd think the stargazy(sp?) pies would be stranger. Aren't those
>the ones where the heads are sticking up through the pie crust?
>
>However, I had forgotten about the "whole fish" bit at first. I'm
>not sure a chopped up lamprey would be that recognisably different
>than any other kind of chopped up fish or eel.
>
>--
>THLord Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra

I will go along with stargazy pie as being strange (read cool) looking.

The lamprey pie recipe reads:

The lamprey should be alive, and scald it in hot water, and this way you
will make it clean and white; and then take toasted bread that should be
completely black, and scrape off the burnt parts, and take the lamprey and
open it, and collect the blood and keep it aside; and remove the intestine
and pass a knife through the mouth in such a way that it does not make any
cut but rather pierces it; and remove the bile through the middle of the
head and let the blood drain well and also drain the blood through the
little holes that the lamprey has, and carefully reserve all the blood, and
baste everything well with this blood; and then take its spices which are
long pepper, and galingale and nutmeg, and all this should be well ground
and mixed with the blood, and then baste the lamprey again with it; and put
a nutmeg in the lamprey's mouth and in each little hole that it has place a
clove: and then take the lamprey, and put it in a pasty crust in the manner
of a ring and give it a cut through the middle of the backbone because
otherwise the pasty could burst and once it is placed in the crust, well
basted with its own blood, with its spices and everything cover the pasty,
and cook it in the oven; and then take the toasted bread and vinegar and red
wine and the remaining blood and mix it all together; and force it through a
stainer very well; and this sauce should not be very sour but only a little;
and so the wine is added: and once the pasty is cooked, take this sauce and
pour it into the pasty; and these turnovers of lampreys are better eaten
cold rather than hot: and if it is not cold do not add sauce; and lampreys
are not good to eat until the month of January.

Now I don't know about you, but I imagine something kinda like a half round
curve shape that is a whole lamprey bound in a pastry with it's tail hanging
out one end and it's head, complete with whole nutmeg in it's mouth, hanging
out the other.  Maybe it's just me.  Whatever the case, I do not think you
could get anyone in out Barony to eat it.
Olwen