Gefilte fish (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Jewish Haiku)

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Sun Feb 17 15:57:02 PST 2002

cooked in the "gefillte mannor".
>Phillipa

I can't believe I wrote that! I usually check my writing  before I send it
out  <blush>
What was I thinking??

Can you tell us a bit about this phenom? It sounds kind of like some

> of the medieval fish jellies. I would think that slices, per se, not
> being chopped up, wouldn't be thought of as "gefilte" anything. Are
> these slices poached in the stock made from skin, etc., then kind of
>
> way off base here?

No Master A , you are pretty on target.
I am trying to remember that far back now, let;s see..... It was ( a dark and
stormy night)...whoops sorry! In 1976 I was in Israel visiting with new
Russian emigre  (sp) friends. They invited me over to their home and served
me a delicious lunch that included as one of the courses, a slice of fish
that I first thought was gefillte stuffed back into the skin and then made
into slices. Upon closer inspection I saw that it was a slice of fish (minus
guts) that tasted like it had been put into fish stock with the skin, bones,
carrots, potatoes etc that one uses to make regular gefillte fish.  It tasted
very similar to gefillte fish only the fish itself wasn;t ground up. To get
the texture and flavor it had it had to have been cooked in flavored water as
one would have for gefillte fish.

Phillip[a