[Sca-cooks] An Introduction

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 19 08:57:21 PST 2002

> > PS: please let me know if I need to provide my
> > redaction of the tart.
>
> You don't "need" to do anything, but I'm sure we'd all
> be happy to see your redaction, and perhaps comment on
> it- we LIKE recipe redactions ;-)
>
> Welcome to the Cook's List- when you have a spare
> moment, introduce yourself ;-)
>
> Phlip

Greetings,

I am Signora Serena da Riva, from the Barony of the South Downs in the
Kingdom of Meridies. I have been in the SCA coming up on four years. I have
always been hopelessly addicted to cookbooks, cooking shows and their ilk,
so getting into cooking in the SCA was probably unavoidable.

I began my SCA cooking career as most probably do, helping in kitchens, then
with small feasts at events that already had larger feasts. I was then asked
to prepare "snackies" for a salon/gathering area for an event - I am fairly
confident that they expected standard (read mundane) snackies but I decided
to lose my mind and do it all period. I began with pre-redacted Caridoc,
GoodCookery and Florigeium but have evolved since then to doing the
redacting myself.

I just completed my first feast for 175 at our local Baronial Arts &
Sciences event and again with the temporary insanity agreed to a Sunday
night feast at the Kingdom A&S coming up at the end of May (I could of sworn
they said Labor Day, not Memorial day - I always get those mixed up.).

After the event it was suggested, by several of my Laurel friends, that I
should join the cooks list. I have always been a little intimidated by the
cooks list because of the reputation for volume, but I must say that, in the
few days I have been registered, the KWHeralds list is matching y'all 2 to 1
on posts.

This has gotten too long, hasn't it? I am terribly sorry. I will mention
that my other major SCA interest is Gardening and it fits very nicely with
the cooking.

I will leave you with the Cinnamon Tart redaction:

http://www.mindspring.com/~tripper/serena/SCACookingPages/CinnamonTart.htm

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva

---