[Sca-cooks] Very Odd Food Reference Question

XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com
Wed Feb 20 03:18:15 PST 2002

In a message dated 2/19/02 10:40:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mooncat at in-tch.com writes:

<<  I seem
 > to recall a, quite possibly spurious, historical reference regarding a
siege
 > of a European city.  It seemed that the besieged were growing lean and
 > getting quite desperate when they found a very fat citizen who was hording
 > food.  They stuffed him full, hoisted him to the top of the city wall, had
 > him hang a moon over the edge and proceed to show the besiegers just how
 > well fed they really were.  Supposedly the besiegers were suitably
 > discouraged and left.  The food connection, ...yes there really is a food
 > connect to this tale, ...is that a special roll in the form of the
 > discouraging anatomy of the hoarder was then prepared by an enterprising
 > baker.   Does this ring a bell with anyone or am I confusing this with the
 > story of the croissant? >>

Yes. The Croissant, or the Crescent, was made when the Austrians (I think)
were besieged by the Ottoman Turks. THe Crecent was a symbol of victory over
the Muslims, whose symbol was the Crecent Moon. And the croissant, to many
people's disbelief, is not french of origin. ;)

Misha