[Sca-cooks] Rescuing a Failure

drkael at comcast.net drkael at comcast.net
Wed Feb 20 10:44:59 PST 2002

> >So, what have _you_ "ruined" and
> >brought back to a usable state??
> >
> >Alys Katharine

At a feast a number of years back,  I had a near failure that got saved...
I was serving roasted garlic in my appetizer course (instead of honey
butter... amazingly no one missed it)  My error was that I had planned out
my oven usage to the minute all day thinking oh.. I'll just throw the garlic
in around the other dishes and cook it then....

The problem was, that nothing that went into the oven had to be at a high
enough temp to really roast the garlic well....   So with about 10 minutes
before they were to be served, we had undercooked garlic....Now, I had pies
in the oven which we couldn't take out or raise the temp on..... so we were
unsure what to do....

Until someone noticed the microwave in the corner (which we had been
ignoring all day) and decided to try to nuke the garlic....  which was able
to finish cooking the garlic.....

The cook staff had a good laugh when people came in to the kitchen and asked
how we got the garlic "So.... perfect"

Kael

ps.... for those of you who might care....note now that excite at home is
defunct... my new email is drkael at comcast.net.