[Sca-cooks] The Feast of St. Martin

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 21 08:34:40 PST 2002

Greetings,

I have been involved in a rather unfruitful internet search and was thinking
that the good gentles on this list could possibly shed some light on my
problem.

I am trying to figure out what kind of dishes would have been served during
the Feast of St. Martin.

So far I have determined that he is known as the patron saint of both wine
makers and drunkards. His feast day is November 11th, the French ate Goose
and the Anglo-Saxons ate pig. Apparently a Cock was also sacrificed on this
day. Also, I have found one reference to Venetian children running through
the streets and banging pots & pans in celebration.

I am trying to create a single course based on St. Martin's day - and from
what I can figure it was a big feast day, I just cannot figure out what was
served.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva

---