[Sca-cooks] The Feast of St. Martin

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Feb 21 19:15:50 PST 2002

I did a quick search and found 170 plus
books on St. Martin with 34 in English
under the entries for
Named Person: Martin, Saint,
Bishop of Tours, ca. 316-397.

The internet may not be the best place for
this search. I am sure that a good public
library or university can help you find a range
of materials on Martinmas and St. Martin.
Including:
Communities of Saint Martin :
legend and ritual in medieval Tours /
Author(s): Farmer, Sharon A.
Publication: Ithaca : Cornell University Press,
Year: 1991
 or this interesting one
The St. Martin embroideries;
a fifteenth-century series illustrating the life
 and legend of St. Martin of Tours
Author(s): Freeman, Margaret B.
Publication: [New York] Metropolitan Museum
of Art; distributed by New York Graphic Society,
 Greenwich, Conn. Year: 1968

One interesting website that you may not have found
is:
http://www.mw.mcmaster.ca/scriptorium/alice_site/martinmas_alice_end.html

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway

Barbara Benson wrote:
 I have been involved in a rather unfruitful
 internet search ...snipped
> I am trying to figure out what kind of dishes
 would have been served during