[Sca-cooks] Lemonwhyt?

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Feb 22 07:27:56 PST 2002

I just wonder if she didn't take a rice and
peas recipe and just added the lemon and
then sauced it all with honey, thinking
that would make it exotic and medievally
weird. It's in the vegetable section of the
Fabulous Feasts book.
I did a search on google and found that
apparently people are using it for dishes
like "Castles of Lemonwhyt
  (Savoury rice molds)".
This was served at a medieval banquet in Canberra
back in November 2000 for an Offshore 2000 meeting.
[ http://www.canberra.edu.au/education/crie/oet/MP_main.html]
Apparently the recipe has appeal....

Johnna Holloway   Johnnae llyn Lewis

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:>
> I would bet money this was a synthesis of the modern Greek avgolemno
> soup and one of the period blankmanger variants.>
> Adamantius
My not-entirely-expert opinion is that she made it up out of whole
> >cloth. Most of the rice mentions are for rice flour as a thickener, not
> >rice as a grain.> >
> >Margaret FitzWilliam
> >

> On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:
>Lemonwhyt" in _Fabulous Feasts_............
  Then again, it's possible that this is an altered medieval recipe -- I