[Sca-cooks] Re: rice with orange juice, was Lemonwhyt?

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Fri Feb 22 09:29:06 PST 2002

Iyad wrote:
>> Again, From Robt. May's Accomplisht Cook, p. 245-6
>> "To make a Tart of Rice.
> [snip]
>> bake it, being baked scrape on sugar, and so serve it up."
>> Cindy
>
> What is meant by the phrase "scrape on sugar"?  Is it a slather of
> sugar syrup, a lemon-juice-and-powdered-sugar icing that might be
> found on lebkuchen, or just a sprinkle of granulated white sugar?
> These are all just guesses.

Remember that sugar in SCA-period didn't come pre-powdered, but was sold
in a big loaf.  "Scrape on sugar" just means to grate or scrape some
sugar over the dish, much as you'd grate cheese over a pasta dish.

Speaking of which, one of my local asian groceries sells light-brownish
cane sugar in blocks.  I bought some the other night, and will
experiment with it soonish.  Looks like it'd be a good way to take sugar
camping -- no jar required, and won't clump up in humid weather.  All
you need is a knife to scrape it with (I hope).

Yours,

Katherine

katherine at infotrope.net  http://infotrope.net/sca/