[Sca-cooks] Re: rice with orange juice, was Lemonwhyt?

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 22 10:06:27 PST 2002

--- Kirrily Robert <skud at infotrope.net> wrote:

> Speaking of which, one of my local asian groceries
> sells light-brownish
> cane sugar in blocks.  I bought some the other
> night, and will
> experiment with it soonish.  Looks like it'd be a
> good way to take sugar
> camping -- no jar required, and won't clump up in
> humid weather.  All
> you need is a knife to scrape it with (I hope).

Well, we had some to play with, so I checked, and yes,
it does scrape off fairly easily with a knife, but
it's slow- I'd guess about 20 scrapes or so to a
teaspoon.

There were specific tools made for pinching off sugar-
I think someone posted a site for them- Johan and I
have been discussing forging them, and they don't look
like they'd be very difficult- basicly a modified
plier.

My suggestion would be that if you want to take it
camping, take along a pair of dedicated pliers for
rapid pinching of sugar, and pack the sugar in a
baggy, with maybe a few grains of rice to help absorb
excess water. Yes, it can't clump much more than it's
clumped already, but sugar DOES tend to be fairly
hygroscopic, if not down right hydroamorous ;-) You
really don't want to be dosing your morning coffee
with a sticky block of yeuchhhh.....

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,